Monday, March 20, 2017

Woman Eats 564 Oysters in 8 Minutes


Google Unveils Wi-Fi Enabled School Buses

Eighth-grader Lakaysha Governor spends two hours on the bus getting back and forth to school each day. Thanks to a grant from Google, she can now use that time more productively and get her homework done.
The aspiring forensic anthropologist is one of nearly 2,000 students in South Carolina's rural Berkeley County who will ride to school on one of 28, Google-funded, Wi-Fi-equipped school buses unveiled Monday. The tech giant also has given the school district 1,700 Chromebooks, the stripped-down laptops on which many schoolchildren now do their class and homework.
As more class assignments and homework migrate online, such long bus rides have generally counted as lost time in preparing for the next school day. But Google said it hopes to help expand the use of Wi-Fi on school buses in other rural areas elsewhere around the country.
Google has at least a decade-long relationship with Berkeley County, where it's invested more than $1 billion in data center complexes since 2007, bringing more than 100 jobs. Google says it also has awarded nearly $2 billion in grants to local schools and nonprofits.
Google hopes to see the Wi-Fi program extended into other rural areas of the U.S., including locations where it already has data centers that process search queries and other information, according to Lilyn Hester, a Google spokeswoman based in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. The first such effort was launched last year in Caldwell County, North Carolina, where a data center already exists.
The expansions are also needs-based, Hester said, and Google is focusing on rural places where broadband internet access has been slow to spread.
"Why don't we make that instructional time?" Hester said of officials who have mused about the time many students spend on school buses.
Google is also looking for ways to make the high-tech buses useful outside of school hours, working with the school district and community on places the buses can go once the school day is done to bring connectivity elsewhere, such as a community center or fellowship hall.
Lakaysha, the eight-grader who has her eye on Harvard, has internet access at home like most of her friends. But thanks to the WiFi buses, she can get ahead on her work. Teachers are happy, she said, because "more students are doing their homework."
And she said even rambunctious preschoolers aboard the bus are quieter in the mornings while older students are doing homework.
"Now that we have the Chromebooks and the WiFi, they're kind of quiet; so it's good for everybody."

Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Escaped Bull Captured After Leading Police On Chase in Jamaica, Queens

There is a sad ending to the tale of a bull on the run in Queens.


The bull that was first spotted Tuesday morning on Lakewood Avenue near Sutphin and Archer in Jamaica has died.



It escaped from a slaughterhouse on Jamaica Avenue. A butcher told Bauman they were moving a large group of those cows and he believes this one may have heard a noise got scared and escaped through the fencing.



Even though it was hit with several tranquilizer darts, it managed to continue to make its way through Queens before being captured in a backyard.



After being captured alive, the bull was loaded into a trailer but sadly died en- route during transport to the Center for Animal Care and Control on Linden Blvd in Brooklyn.



The cause of death has not been determined and the bull’s remains will be cremated.



Thursday, September 24, 2015

Kim Zolciak, 37, Has Stroke After ‘Dancing With The Stars,’ Loses Ability To Speak

Kim Zolciak suffered a mini stroke on Wednesday following a flight from Los Angeles to Atlanta.

The “Dancing with the Stars” contestant posted a selfie from her hospital bed on Thursday morning, issuing a medical update via Instagram.

Kim Zolciak wrote in an Instagram post that she suffered a mini-stroke after competing on 'Dancing With the Stars'

“The last 24hrs have been whirlwind! I landed yesterday morning from LAX (took the red eye right after “DWTS”) I got home and within minutes suffered a TIA (mini stroke) the left side of my body went completely numb and my speech was gone,” Zolciak, 37, explained. “Extremely grateful for @sladeosborne @briellebiermann @nikitpressley @kroybiermann for quick reactions! I have 100%of my feeling back THANK GOD. Still in the hospital but I just know I’m getting released
today!”

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Fight at Chinese karaoke bar leaves singer with ten-inch 'microphone' shoved so far into his rear, doctors have to cut open his abdomen to remove it

A Chinese man recently found himself having a 10-inch long cylindrical object stuck in his rectum and had to go through a two-hour operation to have it removed.

Doctors in a hospital in Guangzhou, southern China, were surprised to see a microphone-shaped item lodged in the man's colon after an X-ray, reported People's Daily Online.  

The patient refused to explain how the object had got there, but media reports suggest the man had been involved in a fight at a karaoke bar when the object was inserted into his body.

The middle-aged man, named only by his surname Cai, had no visible injuries when he arrived at the First Affiliated Hospital of Guangzhou University of Chinese Medicine on August 8.

The 10 inch long cylindrical object was captured on X-ray and had been lodged for 27 hours before operation
However, he had a strange and pained expression on his face and pointed at his rear to the staff.

Surgeons initially tried to extract the object from the man's anus but found that it was lodged in too deeply so they had to operate on him.

After two hours operation, where they opened Mr Cai up from his abdomen, they were able to remove the object.

It is thought the cylindrical object had already been inside the man for 27 hours before he sought medical help.

Media reports indicate the man had been involved in an altercation at a karaoke when the mystery object was inserted into his body.

Surgeons operated for two hours to extract the object. The man is now recuperating in hospital (file picture)

Although the doctors did not disclose what exactly the object was, they revealed that it measured approximate 10 inches in length and 1.5 inches in diameter and was made of plastic.

The man is now recuperating in the hospital and has refused interviews by the media.

Dr Sun, who treated the man, said that he had previously treated a man in a similar disposition.

A chef had come into the hospital with a lodged cucumber, which had split his colon.

The doctor advised that 'foreign objects in rectum shouldn't be treated lightly. In certain circumstances it could even lead to death.'

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Birdman involved in alleged conspiracy to kill Lil Wayne

A man charged with shooting into Lil Wayne's tour buses on a Georgia highway called cellphones linked to rappers Young Thug and Birdman before and after the gunfire, according to an indictment in the case.
A grand jury indicted Jimmy Carlton Winfrey on 30 counts including charges of aggravated assault and racketeering. The June 25 indictment says the gunshots following Lil Wayne's Atlanta performance April 26 stemmed from feuding regarding the rapper's contract with Cash Money Records, the Atlanta label co-founded by Birdman, whose real name is Bryan Williams.
Lil Wayne and 11 others were traveling on the two buses struck by gunfire on Interstate 285 in Cobb County north of Atlanta, but nobody was injured. The indictment says Winfrey called "cellphones connected to Jeffrey Williams" — also known as Young Thug — before the shooting occurred and then afterward called a cellphone "owned by Bryan Williams." Jeffrey and Bryan Williams were not charged in relation to the bus shootings.
Lawrence Zimmerman, a defense attorney for Winfrey, declined to comment Thursday. A representative for Jeffrey Williams also declined to comment. A publicist for Bryan Williams did not immediately return an email message.
The attack on Lil Wayne's tour buses came a few months after he filed a federal lawsuit in New York claiming Cash Money Records owed him $8 million. The suit, which sought $51 million, was soon dropped by the rapper. Lil Wayne, whose real name is Dwayne Michael Carter, had been mentored by Birdman since starting his career as a teenager.
The indictment says Jeffrey Williams sided with Bryan Williams in the label dispute with Lil Wayne. It says Winfrey appeared in an online video in which Jeffrey Williams made threats toward Lil Wayne.
When Lil Wayne performed at an Atlanta nightclub in April, the indictment says, Atlanta police saw Winfrey pull up outside the venue in a white Chevrolet Camaro. Officers noticed that Winfrey "had an assault rifle in his vehicle," according to the document. It says police "fearing gang violence" escorted Lil Wayne from the club and patrol cars stayed with his buses until they left the Atlanta city limits.
Jeffrey Williams was arrested Wednesday and charged with making terroristic threats in an unrelated case in neighboring DeKalb County. Police say he threatened to shoot a mall security guard in the face after being told the leave the building.
Jeffrey Williams' attorney, Brian Steel, declined to comment Thursday on his arrest in DeKalb County as well as the allegations in the bus shooting indictment.